|главная / The Stalingrad battle|
TSARITSYN - STALINGRAD - VOLGOGRAD
For the heroism shown during the battle, Stalingrad was awarded the title of Hero City in 1945, and King George VI of the United Kingdom awarded the citizens of Stalingrad a jewelled sword in appreciation of the bravery that they had shown. A memorial complex commemorating the battle, dominated by an immense allegorical sculpture of Mother Russia, was erected on the Mamayev Kurgan, a hill that saw some of the most intense fighting during the battle. A number of cities around the world (especially ones that had suffered particularly badly during the war) established sister/friendship links with the city of Volgograd. Coventry, Cleveland and Hiroshima are among them.
In 1961 the city got its present name of Volgograd. Now it's a big beautiful city with the population of more than 1 million people. It is a great industrial centre. The main industries are: mechanical engineering, metallurgy, ferrous metal and non-ferrous metal industry, chemical, oil chemical industry, woodworking and food industries. It is a big transportation centre, too. There are electric trains, metro, trams, buses, trolley-buses and a lot of taxis in the city. It is also a great port. Soon after the war, in 1952 the Volga-Don Ship Canal was opened which made the city the port of five seas. Volgograd is a great cultural and educational centre. There are quite a number of colleges, institutes and universities in the city. In 1980 Volgograd State University was opened. There are many theatres in Volgograd: the New Experimental Theatre, the Puppet Theatre, the Theatre for Young Spectators, the Musical Theatre, the Central Concert Hall, the Circus. There are also a number of museums in the city.
|главная | о нас | контакты | карта сайта | полезные ресурсы | методическая копилка|
|www.kafedraino.narod.ru ©2003-2010 Филиппова Н.Е.|